The High Chair Restoration (part 2)

If you missed part 1 it can be found here.

Ok, Let’s talk Gorilla Glue. It’s great stuff, it holds things together better than any glue I’ve used before. I don’t want a wobbly chair, so between the glue and screws nothing should move. That’s all fine and dandy. The problem with Gorilla Glue is it can be a stringy, foamy, sloppy mess! Which is what I ended up with. Not to mention the pieces of the chair were not going together very smoothly.

IMG_0707IMG_0711

I had absolutely had it for the day when Dad and the Mister came to the rescue. I don’t know how they did it, ( I went to the house ) but they got it together. Dad got out his clamps and it’s looking good again.

I used an oil based stain, which I put on before we started to assemble. I was sure to not get the stain on the ends of the spindles or in the corresponding holes. This worked very much to my advantage. Once my sloppy Gorilla Glue dried and foamed it was very easy to lightly scrape off the stained wood.

Then a few coats of varnish and done! Well almost, the little mister will need to be buckled in or he will most likely slip out. So next step is to get the leather out and make some straps with snaps.

IMG_0787 IMG_0788

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *