Living on the farm is not all blue skies and butterflies. There’s a lot of hard work and sometimes it rains on your hay. But even the soggy days are speckled with my favorite things.
- Hearing the roosters crow in the early morning calm when the windows are cracked.
- Watching the spring calves pounce through the spring pasture.
- Losing sight of the calves because the pasture grass is taller than they are.
- Catching the right moment to see eggs hatch.
- Our weathered, big, red barn.
- The view from the top of the hill in the hay field.
- Collecting fresh eggs in the evening.
- Hearing the song birds in the afternoon.
- The smell of fresh cut hay in the breeze.
- Anticipation of the miracles that will sprout from freshly turned soil.
- Freshly turned soil.
- Coffee percolated on the wood fire cook stove on a cold morning.
Just to name a couple.