Challah to the Best French Toast Recipe

Want to make the best French toast this Easter?! Let me show you how!

Challah! (pronounced “ha-la”) Get it? Challah to the Best… yeah ok, still lame, but the bread is good!

This braided butter and egg bread makes the best French toast.

I like to make my challah a few days prior to the day I plan to serve French toast. I love bread fresh from the oven, this one is no exception unless it’s for French toast. All toast really, I like those breads a day or two old.

Traditionally this bread is braided and left as a free-form loaf, meaning it’s not baked in a bread pan but rather just on a baking stone or sheet pan. The last time I made this I braided it as usual but then I put the braid in bread pans. The result was a lovely high rising braided loaf that made some pretty impressive French toast.

The challah recipe is below. Here’s what I do for French toast:

In a shallow but wide bowl (a pie pan works well) whisk 1 egg for every two slices of toast you plan to make. Add roughly 1 tablespoon of milk per egg. Then whisk in a pinch of cinnamon, a dusting of nutmeg and a splash of vanilla. (maple or almond extract is good too!)

Heat your griddle or pan as you would for pancakes.

Place a fat slice of challah into the egg mixture. Allow this to soak for a few seconds then flip it and let it soak a few more seconds.

Without making the inevitable mess take the egged bread from the pie pan and place it onto the griddle. Allow this to cook for a few minutes until it is golden brown. Then flip and repeat.

Top your French toast with any fresh fruit, preserves, whipped cream, honey, or of course some home grown maple syrup!

Don’t have time to bake your own Challah but want to make the

French Toast for Easter Brunch?

Let me know! I’d be happy to bake it for you!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Print Recipe
I use this recipe when we are planning French toast for breakfast. The rich bread lends itself so well to the cinnamon, fresh berries and whip crème that top a thick slice of golden French toast.
Print Recipe
I use this recipe when we are planning French toast for breakfast. The rich bread lends itself so well to the cinnamon, fresh berries and whip crème that top a thick slice of golden French toast.
  • 1 3/4 cup Water divided
  • 2 3/4 tsp Dry Yeast
  • 4 each Egg Yolks
  • 1/4 cup Honey
  • 1/2 tsp Molasses
  • 2 tsp Sea Salt
  • 1/4 cup ¼ c. Butter melted
  • 4 3/4 cup White Whole Wheat Flour or All-purpose Flour
  1. Combine ¾ cup of water, yeast, honey and molasses. Stir to dissolve the yeast. Add 1 cup of flour, stir to combine and let this rest for 30 minutes.
  2. Add the eggs, melted butter, salt and remaining flour.
  3. Knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
  4. Place the dough in a bowl, covered with a towel and let rise until it doubles in size, about 2 hours.
  5. Punch down the dough and let rise another hour.
  6. Divide the dough into three, four or five, equal pieces, to be braided. Roll each piece into long ropes. Let the ropes rest on your work space for 5 minutes. Then braid them with the desired number of strands.
  7. Cover lightly with a towel and let rise for about 45 minutes until they are 1 ½ times their size.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until it is golden brown.
Share this Recipe

Don't Miss Out!

Whole Grain Baking Recipes and Tips for Seasonal Cooking.

Please wait...

Thank you for signing up!

Continue Reading

Corned Beef and Roasted Cabbage

It’s that time of year where our meals start looking boringly familiar; meat, and cellar vegetables, you know potatoes, carrots, squash, cabbage and some rice…or tacos. This is usually when I try to mix things up a bit and start slathering the vegetables in bacon fat and olive oil and roasting them. It’s a nice change. Who doesn’t love anything cooked in bacon fat?!

Continue Reading

The Cow Came Home

“Dad! Come up here! There’s a monster outside!” –Little boy

“What? Come down here.” -Mike

(little feet stomping down the stairs)

“Come ‘ere. Look! There’s a cow out there!”-Little boy

“Anna! Anna!” I was vacuuming in the laundry room. It took a while for Mike to get my attention.


“Come see this.”-Mike

Continue Reading

Why I Love Home Ground Wheat


The fire is lit in the old stove slowly warming the oven for the day. I’ve got a day of bread baking planned. My coffee is hot and the flour mill is grinding away. Morning is my favorite time of day. Once I’ve got enough flour ground for the first batch I can get started. For now I’ll steal away a few quiet moments and tell you why I love to use my home-grown, home-ground, whole wheat flour.

Continue Reading

Birthdays, Berries and Sprinkles

It’s been three years since the little miss came into the world with the all the fury of the February storm we had that night. She is still a force to be reckoned with! Joyful, but hang on to your boots! In her honor she gets waffles with whipped cream, berries and of course rainbow sprinkles.

As the unspoken tradition goes, the rainbow sprinkles will cover the kitchen counters and floor. I will be finding sprinkles for weeks to come. It’s worse than glitter as far as I’m concerned. But they bring a big smile to everyone so I’ll just go with it.

The waffles follow suit with the rest of the baking on the farm and are made with our farm fresh flour and topped with fresh whipped cream and berries or for those of us who like things a little simpler (ahem, me) some of dad’s homegrown/homemade maple syrup.

Here’s the recipe I like to use.

Continue Reading
1 2 3 61